EC Tallinn 2005

Arutelu mälumänguteemade üle (Discussion Board)

Moderaatorid: aadu, Hallvatt

Kasutaja avatar
Clockdoc
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Clockdoc »

tauno kirjutas: Because some pubs in Tallinn have lately put up signes NO BRITISH (stag parties).
Can you give us a list of those? :D

No seriously, we'll be staying in Tallinn for a couple of days after the EQC and are planning an in-depth investigation of local gastronomy in general and the variety of Estonian beers in particular. Any usefull information on those topics would be very welcome.
And we really don't like stag parties, more than enough of those in our own city...
Kasutaja avatar
tauno

Postitus Postitas tauno »

Great, that area is at least one question I know an answer for sure :)
As what comes to Estonian beers, then this is an eternal question of taste and You can hear as many answers as You ask. For a quick review, here is shortlist summary:
Estonian beer is mostly a bubbly lager. Usually very decent, but nothing unforgettable. We don´t yet have the long tradition for other beers, although some porters are nice. We also have one wheat and one rice beer, the latter is better.
Number one Estonian producer is called A´le Coq, which comes from Tartu, (they used to have also a daily newspaper). Some 5-10 years it was considered rebellous, because back then close to Tallinn SAKU factory was the biggest, but now they rule the market. These are the main two breweries in Estonia, who share vast majority in market. Both breweries have some good beers, but if You are looking for something different and more memorable, I would try the SILLAMÄE brewery with trademark MÜNCHEN. This was used to be a closed military town, which afterwards bought a whole factory from Germany. I know some people would argue me very much, but a friendly suggestions is to avoid any beer that comes from PÄRNU brewery. Although they have stopped using the polluted water of Pärnu and bring it from Saku, it is still a work in progress.
Now I would rank my personal favourites and suggestions by category:

Lagers and pilsners:
1. A le Coq Premium
2. München hele (quite difficult to find)
3. Albert le Coq (pilsner produced in Tartu)
4. Saku originaal
5. Alexander (Tartu) and Mägra õlu (Saku)
6. other pilsners

Dark beer and porters
1. Sillamäe München dark (tume)
2. Saku tume (dark and strong)
3. Palmse (a light dark beer by a small brewery)
4. Tõmmu Hiid (nice dark beer by old recipe produced in Tartu)
5. Saku porter (quite strong, good for one thumbler)

Stout
1. Sillamäe vaskne (we don´t really produce any stouts, but this is quite close and very good, my personal favourite)

Well, this ofcourse reflects only my opinion, so for comparison my 5 favourite British beers:

1. Caledonian IPA
2. St Andrews Belhaven
3. Black Sheep
4. Newcastle Brown Ale
5. Old Speckled Hen

In Estonia there is a good possibility to try also some Russian and Ukrainian beers, but one has to be patriotic, so this is an entirely new subject.

As what comes to WINE (yes, You heard it right), Estonia produces drinks labelled "wine" from fruits and berries. Usually it is said, that people who like these either know nothing about wine or know too much on it. Must of it is very bad candysweet and strong liquid. A few could be recommended as aperatives in small amounts, for instance dry blueberry and 10-year old appledrink. rest of it is just a cheap form of getting pissed (thats why you will see a lot of 8-10% strong beers here).

There are some very nice restaurants in Tallinn, elsewhere in Estonia there are also some nice places, but best food is definetely in capital area.
Kasutaja avatar
holte

Postitus Postitas holte »

Sillamäe beers... was (1 year ago) in strange armenian place in Tatari.
And Kassisaba.
Kasutaja avatar
Clockdoc
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Clockdoc »

tauno kirjutas:Well, this ofcourse reflects only my opinion, so for comparison my 5 favourite British beers:

1. Caledonian IPA
2. St Andrews Belhaven
3. Black Sheep
4. Newcastle Brown Ale
5. Old Speckled Hen
Ah, Caledonian, i've visited that brewery last year during an in-depth investigation of local Scottish gastronomy in general and the variety of Scottish real cask ales in particular. :wink: Impressive little brewery.

But otherwise we Belgians avoid British ales whenever possible :D, so i can't really compare with the others.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the (impressive amount of) information. :clap:

And since i'm busy asking, which are the best and nicest pubs in Tallinn to visit, if we want to sample those beers? I know that Saku originaal is almost omnipresent but we like to have some options, you know.
Kasutaja avatar
polt
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas polt »

We can find and buy Sillamäe beer specialli for EC i Think.Ask Arko?!
Arenege!( Ka taandareng on areng!)
Kasutaja avatar
tauno

We have discussed the possibility to order a special brew for EC. I think the minimum quantity is quite low, 4-5 cases . At least Saku and A le Coq offer this possibility, I don´t know about Sillamäe...
Kasutaja avatar
Wise Old Owls
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Wise Old Owls »

Together with a number of Brit quizzers (includes English and Welsh :wink: ) I shall be attending a football match in Tallinn on the sunday afternoon (Levadia vs. Narva). anyone care to join us?
A good man in an evil society seems the greatest villain of all (Old English Proverb)
Kasutaja avatar
polt
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas polt »

Sorry , but this match isnt estonian soccer.It is russian soccer in Estonia and you can see only drunk russian fans.It is very exotic i understand!Good luck!
Kasutaja avatar
Matis
Asukoht: Kilingi-Nõmmes loomulikult. Iga lõngus elab ainult siin
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Matis »

polt kirjutas:Sorry , but this match isnt estonian soccer.It is russian soccer in Estonia and you can see only drunk russian fans.It is very exotic i understand!Good luck!
Shut up, man. This very intresting game with bad language and very bad refree. "Estonian" club FC Flora is jokenumber.
Mulle meeldib, kui ema käitub spartalikult
Kasutaja avatar
polt
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas polt »

Estonian soccer in local Championship sucks all, i mean!
Kasutaja avatar
tauno

Just as information for our foreign colleagues: Polt is a fan of special ballgame called "basketball", which is slightly similar to sports played in NBA, but it is even more boring. It fact Estonia was 10 years ago one of few places in world where "basketball" was considered more popular than soccer. Fortunately, this is now gone with breadlines and soviet army :)
Soccer matches are funny in Estonia, less than 10 years ago they still sold vodka by glass in some stands, but I think UEFA has banned this by now. There is also no reason to be worried about crowdedness, as there are usually around 200 spectators (i have been to one game with 30 people).
Kasutaja avatar
cadman

Postitus Postitas cadman »

Maybe, but there were some good times for basketball, when Estonians were much stronger than Lithuanians and won second place in Soviet Union, also there are a lot of olympics medalists from that kind. Soccerplayers were far to any achievement and that's the background.
Kasutaja avatar
Wise Old Owls
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Wise Old Owls »

Thank you for all the information about sport in Estonia.

I shall be 'gutted' (English soccer slang for "very upset") if I cannot buy vodka by the glass while watching the game. I am 2.0m tall and weigh 150kg, will I be safe wearing my Everton FC hat to the game ?
A good man in an evil society seems the greatest villain of all (Old English Proverb)
Kasutaja avatar
polt
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas polt »

Yes you are safe in Everton shirt. But estonian ladies thinking-you are loser and you loves losers.Arsenal is hit in estonia now.
Kasutaja avatar
Matis
Asukoht: Kilingi-Nõmmes loomulikult. Iga lõngus elab ainult siin
Kontakt:

Postitus Postitas Matis »

polt kirjutas:Yes you are safe in Everton shirt. But estonian ladies thinking-you are loser and you loves losers.Arsenal is hit in estonia now.
Polt has little bitter, that Pärnu Vaprus don´t play Eestonian Champions League :twisted: Tartu teams (Tammeka and Merkuur) plays are 200-1500 spectactors.
Mulle meeldib, kui ema käitub spartalikult
Suletud